Re: orphaned processes in 7.3 and 8.0

Thanks for that info about killerd. I've put it in the 'interesting to look at later' folder as well. However, I was kind of hoping to gain a greater understanding as to why this happens, and maybe come up with some sort of preventive solution. Seems like things should clean up after themselves, no?

Also, I don't see these sorts of issues on either solaris or earlier Linux versions. If I do, they don't chew up memory like these ones do. This leads me to believe that there are other areas I should (or could) be looking in for a clue.

...I'll continue to try to find the right term to use in grepping the kernel source. In the meantime, any other advice is welcome and hereby solicited.

brian