Re: orphaned processes in 7.3 and 8.0

Brian Jones wrote:
hi all.

I'll try to give as much info as possible about this small annoyance. Just to summarize what's happening, though, I'm seeing a lot of orphaned processes on both redhat 7.3 and 8.0 boxes. By 'orphaned', I mean that the processes wind up being listed as having PPID '1', and not attached to any pty.

For example, I have blackbox running on my local desktop, and if I open up Eterm, issue the command 'vi myfile', and then click the eterm window control to close the window, I'll be left with a bash and Eterm process, both under PPID '1', and a vi process owned by the original bash process (now a child of PPID '1').

[snip]
Is there a way to kill off these orphans, or detect them with some script to make the job of maintaining these boxes easier?

Also, why does this seem to only happen on Linux boxes? I have only seen this on solaris in very rare instances. Is this a problem with the individual applications not exiting properly, or a problem with the kernel or redhat or something? Anything I can do?

Thanks for any advice here.
I found a program last year called "killerd" that does exactly what you want. It scans the system periodically for expired logins and orphaned programs, then kills them:

http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/linux.shtml

I've looked at the source and it is highly configurable. For example, you can only scan and kill orphaned 'vi' processes, etc. However, I have _never_ run it. It's in my interesting to look at later folder. If it is what you need, I'd be interesed in hearing about the results.

The guy who wrote it has some other cool programs, too.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+