Re: Linux backup software

Marko Asplund wrote:
I agree. I am using tar and DLT tape drives on all my servers. Combined with a simple bash script and cron, it handles everything I need for backups.
you can probably make tar into a backup solution but if you consider your
time to be a limited and valuable resource you will definetely want to
consider using real backup software. we've been fairly happy with Arkeia.
Amanda seems to be a viable solution from the free software world but it's
configuration might take some time.
Actually, it's because I _do_ consider my time a limited and valuable resource that I use tar instead of a GUI backup program, particularly a proprietary, closed source GUI backup program.

With every upgrade or kernel patch, you might be forced to buy an upgrade to your proprietary backup program and learn the new interface and set up your configuration again. With tar, my scripts keep working unchanged. If a proprietary backup program starts crashing, you may have to pay for expensive support from your vendor to fix it.

I'm certain there are advanced features of Arkeia and other backup programs that make them useful in many situations, but for small to medium sized networks, I believe they are counterproductive.

//Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+
We drive on this highway of fire