a question regarding upgrading to a new release.

Hello,

In the past i have always just saved the few important things i have
on my Linux drive to some other place and then made a clean new install
and moved back the things of importance that i needed (mp3s and so on.).

But now, i have moved to RH8.0 to use mail, internet and all that, so i
dont think a clean install would be that good so i am thinking of how
the upgrade procedure is done.
Will an upgrade to a new release delete my own settings, like
background, themes, the look of the panel bla bla?
Where can i read about what will get changed and what will not?

I think i made some changes to for example, httpd and perhaps some other
things aswell, will the configuration for those program change to the
ones that come with the release or will the use the once that i have
edited my self? I think i did some changing to one of those files to get
php to work, but i could be wrong. I dont realy remember :)
Its not the end of the world if i get to edit it again, but its more fun
to just have it working :)

So, to make a short version of it, do RedHat have some kind of policy
(document?) stating what the upgrade procedure does ?

I want to delete all the kde packages and a few other things that i have
not been using, but the graphical interface (redhat-config-packages) in
8.0 does not let me delete kde from the system, will an upgrade just
upgrade the packages found on my system or will it let me install new
packages aswell, and/or will it let me delete packages on the system?

I could remove kde with rpm from the command line but i find using
graphical interfaces much more fun, and since I have no space issue yet
i thought i could wait to deal with kde on my system until the next
release, I think i heard some where on this list some long time ago that
newer versions of the redhat-config-packages can do what i want.

oh, by the way. Even though i know i specific asked if the upgrade
procedure not changed some of my settings, is there or will there be
some kind of procedure to have settings changed back to default? Like,
the desktop settings (wallpaper, themes, look of panel and so on).
Making a backup of configurations for httpd, for  example, is one thing
most people will learn by trial and error (even though it would be nice
with an easy way of recreating default settings there as well) but
recreating default settings in the desktop is not that easy.
Delete that icon that checks for newer updates of programs from rhn and
many people will not know how to get it back.

Have a nice day and i love what you people do!

some day the future is here and capitalism and greed is gone, until
then.. see peaces of the future in the open source world.

--
Att bli medveten om sin historia är att bli medveten om sin egenart,
det är tankepausen som vi behöver innan vi övergår i handling.

Kent Nyberg.
ICQ: 145375073