Re: a question regarding upgrading to a new release.

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 07:13, Kent Nyberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the past i have always just saved the few important things i have
> on my Linux drive to some other place and then made a clean new install
> and moved back the things of importance that i needed (mp3s and so on.).
>
> But now, i have moved to RH8.0 to use mail, internet and all that, so i
> dont think a clean install would be that good so i am thinking of how
> the upgrade procedure is done.
> Will an upgrade to a new release delete my own settings, like
> background, themes, the look of the panel bla bla?
> Where can i read about what will get changed and what will not?
>
> I think i made some changes to for example, httpd and perhaps some other
> things aswell, will the configuration for those program change to the
> ones that come with the release or will the use the once that i have
> edited my self? I think i did some changing to one of those files to get
> php to work, but i could be wrong. I dont realy remember :)
> Its not the end of the world if i get to edit it again, but its more fun
> to just have it working :)
>
> So, to make a short version of it, do RedHat have some kind of policy
> (document?) stating what the upgrade procedure does ?
>
> I want to delete all the kde packages and a few other things that i have
> not been using, but the graphical interface (redhat-config-packages) in
> 8.0 does not let me delete kde from the system, will an upgrade just
> upgrade the packages found on my system or will it let me install new
> packages aswell, and/or will it let me delete packages on the system?
>
> I could remove kde with rpm from the command line but i find using
> graphical interfaces much more fun, and since I have no space issue yet
> i thought i could wait to deal with kde on my system until the next
> release, I think i heard some where on this list some long time ago that
> newer versions of the redhat-config-packages can do what i want.
>

> oh, by the way. Even though i know i specific asked if the upgrade
> procedure not changed some of my settings, is there or will there be
> some kind of procedure to have settings changed back to default? Like,
> the desktop settings (wallpaper, themes, look of panel and so on).
> Making a backup of configurations for httpd, for  example, is one thing
> most people will learn by trial and error (even though it would be nice
> with an easy way of recreating default settings there as well) but
> recreating default settings in the desktop is not that easy.
> Delete that icon that checks for newer updates of programs from rhn and
> many people will not know how to get it back.

------
upgrades will upgrade only what is already installed, add any new
packages if dependency required and allow you to choose new packages if
you so desire. Upgrade will NOT remove packages.

removing KDE will be quite a chore as there are a lot of packages and
dependencies...I would suggest that you keep it - and at this point, I
think KDE 3.0 is better than Gnome 2.0 but you can draw your own
conclusions.

Craig