Re: The Strange Case Of The Installed Yet Uninstalled Package

This might be off topic slightly but you mentioned a whichcd command. I tried running it just now and apparently it is not installed. What package did you get the whichcd command from?

Thanks in advance

Salty1

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 02:24, Michael Fratoni wrote:

On Friday 03 January 2003 12:45 am, John Lowell wrote:

> It's nice to hear from you again! You may not recall, but you helped me
> to get Money Dance installed on this thing a little while ago. This
> time its parted and we've got more than a little trouble it would seem.

Ah yes, I do remember.

> I attempted to add Development Tools by checking the appropriate little
> box in Add and Remove Packages and clicking to update as indicated. It
> was then that the error aborting the update and announcing that
> krb5-1.2.5-6 was needed appeared. From one perspective, Red Hat clearly
> knows that a package is needed but not that it has been updated, either
> that or it simply doesn't care. From another, it cares very much that
> an update has occured. A real Catch 22, eh?

We don't need no stinkin' GUI tools... ;)

First question. You're trying to build parted from source? Something wrong
with the included rpm?
[mfratoni@paradox slinky]$ whichcd -v 8.0 parted

Searching for parted...
CD-1:parted-1.4.24-6.i386.rpm
CD-3:parted-devel-1.4.24-6.i386.rpm
SOURCE-CD-1:parted-1.4.24-6.src.rpm

This is an odd error, now that I look more closely.
Typo perhaps, or is this a paste from the console?

> [root@localhost root]# rpm -i
>     /home/jlowell/downloads/krb5-1.2.5-6.i386.rpm
> package krb5-libs-1.2.5-7 (which is newer than krb5-1.2.5-6) is already
>     installed

You are installing krb5, yet rpm is complaining about krb5-libs? Anyway,
you want the matching version. It's available from
ftp://updates.redhat.com/8.0/en/os/i386/krb5-1.2.5-7.i386.rpm

What's the output of 'rpm -qa | grep krb5' ?

> I'd inquire, then, if you'd now modify your suggested solution above,
> knowing that I had not attempted to install the package from the
> installation CD after all. If so, what do we do from here?

Try this from a command line:
'up2date -u krb5 gcc'
Actually, 'up2date -u gcc' should pull in all of gcc's required
dependencies:
[mfratoni@paradox slinky]$ rpm -q --requires gcc
cpp = 3.2-7
binutils >= 2.12.90.0.7-1
glibc-devel >= 2.2.90-12
libgcc >= 3.2-7
/sbin/install-info

If it fails, let's see the error output, and we'll go from there.

There are other packages you may need as well for development that are not
dependencies of gcc. Unfortunately, you'll have to run up2date for each
new missing package.

For example,
[mfratoni@paradox slinky]$ rpm -qa | grep devel | wc -l
    125

I have 125 installed packages with 'devel' in the name. You won't need
them all of course, but you will probably need some.

- --
- -Michael

- --