Re: The Strange Case Of The Installed Yet Uninstalled Package

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 23:35, Michael Fratoni wrote:

> If this machine is registered with Red Hat network, try using up2date. My
> guess is that you are trying to install packages from the CD, but some
> packages on your system have already been updated. This will cause
> conflicts, because you have krb5-libs-1.2.5-7, while the CD provides
> krb5-1.2.5-6.i386.rpm. To get around this, "up2date krb5" and it should
> install the proper version. Or, 'up2date krb5 gcc (any other missing
> packages)...'
> RHN should resolve dependencies and download the needed packages.
>
> - --
> - -Michael

Hi Michael,

It's nice to hear from you again! You may not recall, but you helped me
to get Money Dance installed on this thing a little while ago. This time
its parted and we've got more than a little trouble it would seem.

Anyway, you sensed that I was installing the Development Tools packages
from a CD. Not so. You are correct, however, that a number of packages
have been updated since the original install a couple of months ago. I
always do the updates from Red Hat Network as soon as I'm notified by
that little red ball on the panel. That's probably why krb5-1.2.5-7 is
installed now and not krb5-1.2.5-6 but I can't be absolutely certain.

I attempted to add Development Tools by checking the appropriate little
box in Add and Remove Packages and clicking to update as indicated. It
was then that the error aborting the update and announcing that
krb5-1.2.5-6 was needed appeared. From one perspective, Red Hat clearly
knows that a package is needed but not that it has been updated, either
that or it simply doesn't care. From another, it cares very much that an
update has occured. A real Catch 22, eh?

I'd inquire, then, if you'd now modify your suggested solution above,
knowing that I had not attempted to install the package from the
installation CD after all. If so, what do we do from here?

Regards.

John Lowell