Re: The Strange Case Of The Installed Yet Uninstalled Package

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 21:03, Jesse Keating wrote:

> Can you show us the package names, and the commands you issued to install
> them, and the resulting errors?  Using the command line rpm, so that we can
> get nice verbose output?
>
> --
> Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE

Hi Jesse!

Thanks for the prompt response.

I'll start this tale of woe from the point I took the first steps with
parted-1.6.4. Here's the input and output:

[root@localhost root]# cd /root/parted-1.6.4
[root@localhost parted-1.6.4]# ./configure
checking for mawk... no
checking for gawk... gawk
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuold
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuold
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

Since my install was a desktop install, I checked Add and Remove
Packages to see what development packages were in place. None were
checked so I attempted to update after checking Development Tools. It
was then that the first part of the mystery emerged. I got the error
message, Package Not Found, with the package identified as
krb5-libs=1.2.5-6 and the verdict that the install could not proceed.

I next downloaded and attempted to install krb5-libs-1.2.5-6.i386.rpm.
Here's what transpired at the command line:

[root@localhost root]# rpm -i
    /home/jlowell/downloads/krb5-1.2.5-6.i386.rpm
package krb5-libs-1.2.5-7 (which is newer than krb5-1.2.5-6) is already
    installed

It then went on to list 6 file conflicts which I won't take the time to
list here. I can't install the package needed to update my machine
because a newer version is already installed yet the older version is
required if I'm to do the needed update at all! I can't solve this
problem.

Regards,

John Lowell