Re: The Strange Case Of The Installed Yet Uninstalled Package

On Thursday 02 January 2003 17:45, John Lowell uttered:
> I have a desktop installation of Red Hat 8.0 on this machine. Yesterday
> I decided to install parted, a partitioning program of reasonable
> prominence along with a graphical interface that has been prepared for
> it, nparted, so-called. I downloaded the packages, ran tar xvzf on both
> and attempted to run ./configure on parted. There were complaints about
> missing items,which I might have expected and which I attempted to
> resolve by adding Development Tools from Add/Remove Packages. There were
> further complaints, this time installation was denied flat out because a
> particular rpm was not located. I downloaded and attempted to install
> the needed rpm but upon running rpm -i was informed that a more recent
> version of the package was already on the machine! Now this is God
> punishing me, isn't it? I can't get the development packages installed
> because a required package both is and isn't there. How does something
> like this get fixed?

Can you show us the package names, and the commands you issued to install
them, and the resulting errors?  Using the command line rpm, so that we can
get nice verbose output?

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
For Web Services and Linux Consulting, Visit --> j2Solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: