Pine and Eudora

This used to work fine together. I used to be able to telnet in and use Pine to send and view my email. Then I would go home and use Eudora and download my email. I have Eudora configured to not delete the mail from the server. The two used to work fine like that. The server also has Open Webmail installed. It had been about 6 months since I had used open Webmail before last week. Open Webmail lets you use your browser to check your email.

Last week I went into Open Webmail to view my email and it asked for my preferences (first name, last name, etc) as if it were the first time I logged in. (Keep in mind I have used Open Webmail before on that server and I was surprised when it asked me for that information again) When I got passed that initial part, it said I had no new mail. And I knew I had a lot of email on the server. Going into Pine I could see all of my unread email. But Open Webmail said I had no email.

Ever since then, Eudora will not download any email that I view with Pine first. If I use Pine, and see I have 20 messages and I only look at one, then I close Pine. I go home and open Eudora, and Eudora says I have no new mail. If I get new email after I have closed Pine, then Eudora will see it and download it.

I noticed something new in my home directory after incident with Open Webmail.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 roberts roberts 33 Dec 4 08:47 mbox -> /home/roberts/mail/saved-messages

Also more new files were created that day.

[roberts@zeus roberts]$ cd mail
[roberts@zeus mail]$ ls -al
total 71588
drwx------ 2 roberts roberts 4096 Dec 10 09:06 .
drwx--x--x 9 roberts roberts 8192 Dec 10 09:15 ..
-rw------- 1 roberts mail 12288 Nov 3 14:28 .filter.book.db
-rw------- 1 roberts mail 28 Dec 4 18:55 .filter.check
-rw------- 1 roberts mail 118 Apr 26 2002 .from.book
-rw------- 1 roberts mail 31762 Dec 4 18:55 .history.log
-rw------- 1 roberts mail 0 Dec 4 08:51 mail-trash
-rw------- 1 roberts mail 667648 Dec 4 08:51 .mail-trash.db
-rw------- 1 roberts mail 919 Dec 4 08:49 .openwebmailrc
-rw------- 1 roberts mail 24 Dec 4 18:55 .pop3.check
-rw------- 1 roberts mail 8 Dec 4 08:48 .release.date
-rw------- 1 roberts mail 1212 Dec 4 18:55 .roberts.cache
-rw------- 1 roberts mail 12288 Dec 4 18:55 .roberts.db
-rw------- 1 roberts roberts 68957515 Dec 10 09:15 saved-messages
-rw------- 1 roberts mail 4096 Apr 26 2002 .saved-messages.db
-rw------- 1 roberts roberts 73487 Dec 10 09:06 sent-mail
-rw------- 1 roberts mail 18407 Jul 5 09:39 .sent-mail.cache
-rw------- 1 roberts mail 184320 Dec 4 08:48 .sent-mail.db
-rw------- 1 roberts roberts 3406975 Nov 29 21:26 sent-mail-nov-2002
-rw------- 1 roberts mail 49 Dec 4 08:49 .signature
-rw------- 1 roberts mail 34 Dec 4 08:51 .trash.check

Fear of losing all my email, I haven't been brave enough to "take a bash at it" and start deleting things. Yes it was Dec 4 when I logged in with Open Webmail.

I was hoping someone here might know how I can fix this. Im ready to delete my user and home directory and re-create my account. I would rather understand what happened and how to fix it. And yes I have tried to figure it out and I have researched it. I am getting frustrated.

Thanks,

Tonya