Re: upgrading a PowerEdge 2400 to RH 8.0

On 10 Dec 2002, Neil Loffhagen wrote:

> Be very interested in how it goes.  I'm curious as to the upgrade path
> in Linux (Redhat, SuSe or whatever).  Coming from a Windows background,
> where it was kind of as soon as the next version of Windows came out,
> wait six months or so and then upgrade.  It was a sort of done deal,
> that in time you'd upgrade, sooner or later.  With Linux I was getting
> the impression, but this may be wrong, that if a Server is running fine,
> then there is not so much point in upgrading from one version to
> another, just need to make sure all the relevant updates are installed?
> Or does it also reach a point when updates for an older version of, for
> example, Redhat will stop being released?  Would it be similar to
> Windows now that NT 4.0 is being dropped, there is an expectation to
> replace the OS, so far as MS are concerned with 2000 or .NET?

As with all OSes, it all depends on what function the server has.  If it
has a very specific function with most other services removed, then one
may be able to run it for a long time without reinstalling.  I know that
there is/was a tertiary mail server here (hmm.. not sendmail) at the
school which, last I heard, was still running RH 5.x and had been up for
more than 2 years.  It was apparently stripped of all other functions.

Again, as with all OSes, you need to decide what to patch and what not to
patch on a server.  If you keep a server running at the same version for a
long time, then you better know really well the patch profile of the
machine.  Some patches are problematic, and you need to be very careful
about applying them to servers.  If you decide to skip some patches, then
you better understand the consequences further down the road.  A good
example is 'rpm' .. I remember in the RH 6.x series that you needed to
patch rpm in order to apply any other patches after a certain point (I'm
always a bit careful about updating 'rpm'  :-O  especially on a server).
Around the same time RH was finally able to offer openssl, and they then
released (backported) various ssl-enabled RPMs to the community.  There
can be periods of 'activity' in the open-source world when you have many
opportunities to patch :-)  In this respect, Linux is a bit special.

If a patch requires a reboot (ie.  kernel), then you have an opportunity
to bring it down and reinstall it.  This again depends on what complexity
resides on the server, and how much time you have to reconfigure it and
put it back into production.

I have an important web server that has been up for a year, and is my last
7.1 machine.  I have a web/mail/misc server of lesser importance that is
at RH 8.0.  I also just installed a new (Legato) backup server as an 8.0
machine -- I'm starting from zero there, so I might as well start with the
latest thing all the way around.  But I would think twice about moving my
NIS/NFS master to an x.0 release -- so it sits at RH 7.3.  It just
depends...

So whether its Linux, or any other OS, in the end it just all depends on
the circumstances.

Of course, for the desktop, I pretty much believe in the bleeding edge :-)

--
denice.deatrich @ epfl.ch, DSC / LTHC-LTHI, E.P.F.L.   PH: +41 (21) 693 76 67
<*> This moment's fortune cookie: