Athlon XP - Segmentation fault issues

Ditto what Markku wrote about using Memtest86.  Excellent program.

But the most likely solution is:  remove the evil Soundblaster Live!
soundcard.  The Live! series is notorious for polluting the PCI bus, which
Intel chipsets are relatively tolerant of but VIA chipsets aren't.  Some
motherboards are more tolerant than others.  My old ASUS A7V KT133 chipset
board was fairly tolerant, until I tried to use my neato new HDTV card;  an
ASUS A7V133 KT133a chipset board I built at work has had no trouble with a
Live! 5.1;  but an Epox 8KHA KT266 board was most definitely unhappy.  (The
KT266 is a brain-damaged chipset in general, quickly replaced by the KT266A.)
I swore off Creative Labs cards at that point and switched to a Turtle Beach
Santa Cruz, which I highly recommend.