Re: Is your video card Built/Powered by ATI, and why should youcare...

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Justin Clacherty wrote:

>Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 18:55:42 +1000
>From: Justin Clacherty <justinc@serani.com.au>
>To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Is your video card Built/Powered by ATI,
>     and why should you care...
>
>Well said Mike, though I must say that most of the boards seem to be exact
>replicas of ATI's reference design.  The only real difference is likely to
>be the quality of the RAM that is used.

Yes, many of them likely are.  I've got a couple of clone boards
(PCI Radeons produced by Appian), and they look identical to what
I've seen of the official product.  They work, but just no 3D yet
as 3D isn't supported on PCI Radeon currently.

Some clones do use lower speed and/or lower quality memory.
Nothing wrong with that as long as it works, but it may require
driver tweaks.

>As a side note, ATI just released an updated version of the
>Linux drivers supporting both "Built by" and "Powered by" cards.
>Check out www.rage3d.com it has a note from Terry Makedon, Sr.
>Product Manager - Software at ATI.

Fantastic.  That just proves what I said about ATI.  That they do
listen to customers, and did not have a giant conspiracy going
on.  Hopefully the conspiracy theorists can now run 3D games and
go kill stuff rather than babbling insane FUD and needlessly
attacking hardware vendors that go out of their way to support
Linux.

Thanks for the URL.

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer