Re: Is your video card Built/Powered by ATI, and why should youcare...

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Paul R. Ganci wrote:

>Your "If I am not mistaken" is on the line about the ATI web page explaining
>the LE boards and not the sentence about "Powered by ATI". Therefore
>I did not associate that with your statement about LE cards only about the
>web site.

Fair enough, I could have worded that better I suppose.  A "."
instead of a "," would have made more sense in my statement.

>>actually produced by ATI themselves.  This would indicate that
>>the above FAQ is outdated, and needs up dating to reflect the
>>current state of LE boards, or at least to state clearly that it
>>applies only to the original Radeon LE board - if that is indeed
>>the case.
>
>I will buy this, however, the guy with the problem was complaining about
>a Radeon 8500 LE.

Yes..  perhaps my wording was a bit too non-speculative.

>>What I find kind of funny, is how I've tried to provide a bit of
>>information in sort of a thrown over the fence manner as "I
>>believe this to be the case, but I may be mistaken" and you've
>>taken that instead to be me stating that "this is the way it is
>>period" which is not at all what I said, and then decided you
>>needed to waste a lot of your time to try and "prove me wrong".
>><snip>
>>Humorous that you felt the need to make a big deal out of it
>>nonetheless.
>
>Ouch ... kind of personal here don't you think?

Wasn't trying to be personal..  it just seemed like you were out
to prove something and I thought it was funny since it was rather
trivial.

>I wasn't try to prove you wrong. Rather I didn't want people to
>think the ATI Radeon 8500 LE was not being properly supported by
>either ATI or XFree and therefore would not purchase these cards
>from ATI. I happen to agree with you that ATI is one of the
>better vendors as far as supporting Linux/XFree. Hell I have
>been running your test version of XFree from
>XFree86-4.2.1-9.src.rpm with the DRI-CVS version of the Radeon
>ATI 8500 LE driver for weeks now. I am thankful for what you do,
>did not mean for you to take my comments personally and just
>wanted it to be clear that the Radeon ATI 8500 LE didn't fall
>into the same category as the Radeon LE. So yes I think it is
>important and sorry you took offense.

Seems like we just miscommunicated a bit in both directions.
Also, I was rather annoyed by the original message and hadn't
gotten it out of my system yet.  Perhaps a pot of coffee first
would have lightened me up a bit.  Sorry for being perhaps a bit
overreactive.

Now that ATI has updated their drivers to support the Powered by
cards, etc. though, I guess the whole email thread is rather moot
now.  I'm glad to see ATI respond so quickly, however I'm not
surprised that they've done so.

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer