Re: Is your video card Built/Powered by ATI, and why should you care...

Mike A. Harris wrote:

And that is not ATIs fault.  Complain to the vendor who sold you
>the card.  For what it is woth, all "LE" cards are Powered by
>ATI.  ATI doesn't make any of them themselves.  If I'm not
>mistaken, ATI even has a webpage dedicated to explaining the LE
>boards, or they did at one point anyway.

I'm sorry Mike, but I disagree with this statement.  I own 3 ATI
Radeon 8500 LE 128. All of these cards are "Built by ATI" cards.
How do I know? I had to have warranty service on the card I use
in one of my Red Hat 8.0 Linux boxes. I went to the ATI web site
and followed their instructions on identifying my card. I
discovered by visual inspection of the card that the part number
for this board is 1028280600 which is a "Built by ATI" card.
Indeed I received excellent "Built by ATI" warranty service!

I stated clearly "If I am not mistaken" above.  The original
Your "If I am not mistaken" is on the line about the ATI web page explaining
the LE boards and not the sentence about "Powered by ATI". Therefore
I did not associate that with your statement about LE cards only about the
web site.

Actually I believe you're wrong. I believe what the true deal here is, is that the original Radeon LE was produced by a third party just as ATI states on the FAQ referenced above, and that newer Radeon LE boards (Radeon 7500 LE, Radeon 8500 LE) are perhaps actually produced by ATI themselves. This would indicate that the above FAQ is outdated, and needs up dating to reflect the current state of LE boards, or at least to state clearly that it applies only to the original Radeon LE board - if that is indeed the case.

I will buy this, however, the guy with the problem was complaining about
a Radeon 8500 LE.

What I find kind of funny, is how I've tried to provide a bit of information in sort of a thrown over the fence manner as "I believe this to be the case, but I may be mistaken" and you've taken that instead to be me stating that "this is the way it is period" which is not at all what I said, and then decided you needed to waste a lot of your time to try and "prove me wrong".
<snip>
Humorous that you felt the need to make a big deal out of it nonetheless.

Ouch ... kind of personal here don't you think?

I wasn't try to prove you wrong. Rather I didn't want people to think
the ATI Radeon 8500 LE was not being properly supported by either
ATI or XFree and therefore would not purchase these cards from ATI.
I happen to agree with you that ATI is one of the better vendors as far
as supporting Linux/XFree. Hell I have been running your test version
of XFree from XFree86-4.2.1-9.src.rpm with the DRI-CVS version of
the Radeon ATI 8500 LE driver for weeks now. I am thankful for what
you do, did not mean for you to take my comments personally and just
wanted it to be clear that the Radeon ATI 8500 LE didn't fall into the
same category as the Radeon LE. So yes I think it is important and
sorry you took offense.

--
Paul (ganci@amrone.org)