Re: Is your video card Built/Powered by ATI, and why should youcare...

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Paul R. Ganci wrote:

> >>Guess which one I bought?  Not that I could tell -- I ordered a
> >>"ATI Radeon 8500LE 64MB" card from a mail order vendor.  There
> >>is no information in the distribution channel to indicate what
> >>you are getting.
> >

> >And that is not ATIs fault.  Complain to the vendor who sold you
> >the card.  For what it is woth, all "LE" cards are Powered by
> >ATI.  ATI doesn't make any of them themselves.  If I'm not
> >mistaken, ATI even has a webpage dedicated to explaining the LE
> >boards, or they did at one point anyway.
>
>I'm sorry Mike, but I disagree with this statement.  I own 3 ATI
>Radeon 8500 LE 128. All of these cards are "Built by ATI" cards.
>How do I know? I had to have warranty service on the card I use
>in one of my Red Hat 8.0 Linux boxes. I went to the ATI web site
>and followed their instructions on identifying my card. I
>discovered by visual inspection of the card that the part number
>for this board is 1028280600 which is a "Built by ATI" card.
>Indeed I received excellent "Built by ATI" warranty service!

I stated clearly "If I am not mistaken" above.  The original
Radeon LE was produced by another company for the Asian market.
ATI had a web page describing the LE, and explaining this, and
that is the web page that I am refering to.  Newer Radeon LE
hardware may or may not be produced by ATI.

So that you don't think I'm on crack, I just found the page I am
refering to on ATI's website:

http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/radeon/radeonle.html

Have a look at question 4.

>In addition I just now checked the two cards I have in my
>Windoze boxes where I ran the ATI provided utility (see
>http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/atiadapterutil.html)
>on those boxes. In both cases these cards come up with a
>"Graphics Card Manufacturer" of "ATI Technologies, Inc." as they
>should for cards which according to the ATI web site are "Built
>by ATI". The utility also shows the BIOS P/N of 113-82802-102
>which from the ATI web site corresponds to the same 1028280600
>part number I visually found on the defective board. So unless
>ATI is treating some LE cards as "Built by ATI"  even though
>they are not, I claim I have 3 "Built by ATI" LE cards.
>
>Perhaps what is of interest is Q4 of the web page you mentioned
>(http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/radeon/radeonle.html) which I am
>reiterating here:
>
>Q4.  Is the RADEON LE manufactured by ATI?
>A4: The RADEON LE is designed by ATI and manufactured by ATI's strategic
>partners.

Ah, I see that you have found the same page.  (I'm responding to
your mail while I read it, rather than after I've read it, or I
wouldn't have wasted 5 minutes searching for the above page
myself.  Guess that'll teach me.  <grin>)

>Note that the LE boards are "designed by ATI". Therefore I claim
>ATI treats these LE boards just as if they were manufactured by
>ATI. My point here is simply that ATI designed the board and so
>it really doesn't matter what third party manufacturers it. They
>would have had to follow the parts list which would have been
>part of the ATI design. Therefore, there should be no surprises
>as far as drivers go.

Actually I believe you're wrong.  I believe what the true deal
here is, is that the original Radeon LE was produced by a third
party just as ATI states on the FAQ referenced above, and that
newer Radeon LE boards (Radeon 7500LE, Radeon 8500LE) are perhaps
actually produced by ATI themselves.  This would indicate that
the above FAQ is outdated, and needs updating to reflect the
current state of LE boards, or at least to state clearly that it
applies only to the original Radeon LE board - if that is indeed
the case.

>FWIW two of my boards came in usual ATI red/black box packaging
>just as all "Built by ATI" products. One was bought retail from
>Best Buy and one was bought mail order. The third board was an
>ATI OEM card bought mail order. I have never had any problem
>with the board in my Linux box either running the XFree86 3D
>drivers or ATIs own drivers. My guess is the poor bloke who had
>a problem probably received some other third party board
>advertised as an ATI Radeon 8500 LE board but whose design was
>not actually the ATI design. -- Paul (ganci@amrone.org)

What I find kind of funny, is how I've tried to provide a bit of
information in sort of a thrown over the fence manner as "I
believe this to be the case, but I may be mistaken" and you've
taken that instead to be me stating that "this is the way it is
period" which is not at all what I said, and then decided you
needed to waste a lot of your time to try and "prove me wrong".

It is rather trivial really.  Short version of the whole thread:
The original Radeon LE was produced NOT by ATI, and was also
produced PRIOR to ATI's "Built by ATI/Powered by ATI" logo
campaigns.  Having no reason to believe otherwise, I suggested
that all Radeon LE cards are made by vendors other than ATI.
While that is true for the original cards (I believe only Appian
makes them), it may not be true for the current generations of
cards, and that is why I clearly stated "unless I am mistaken".
Had I known 100% that all Radeon <model> LE cards were in fact
not produced by ATI, then I would not have stated "unless I am
mistaken".

Humorous that you felt the need to make a big deal out of it
nonetheless.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer