Re: Gimp not saving print settings

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 08:54:14PM +0000, Mark Cooke wrote:

> I have finally got round to setting up my printer and tried some
> printing in gimp, which for some reason doesn't list any available
> drivers for my printer:
>
> Cannon BJC-4200
>
> I can print out of gimp (the quality is pretty awful, ok rubbish, but It
> should improve with tweaking, hopefully)
>
> The main problem I have is that it fails to save any of the print
> settings I selected.

The reason for all of these things is, I suspect, the fact that the
gimp-print plugin that comes with gimp is quite old (4.0.x) compared
to the version of gimp-print that the print spooling system uses
(4.2.x).

The current rawhide packages have fixed this, so you might have luck
upgrading gimp and gimp-print. (Of course, rawhide packages aren't
nearly as tested as formally released packages, so your mileage may
vary.)

Checking the list of known printers here, the BJC-3000 and -4300 are
listed, but not the -4200 explicitly (but perhaps one of the close
matches will work well).

Alternatively, of course, you could print as 'PostScript Level 2',
without needing to upgrade anything, and then the correct driver will
be used.  Of course, that won't fix the problem of failing to save
settings.

Tim.
*/