LVM and initrd

Finally got a disk array and was playing with LVM.  One issue cropped up
and I haven't found an answer yet on Google and/or the list archives.

After creating the logical volume and putting an entry into /etc/fstab,
the system complains on reboot that it can't check the filesystem as
specified in /etc/fstab.  I'm having a dickens of a time trying to figure
out where LVM gets initialized at in the startup scripts.  I'm assuming
that the LVM modules should be included in the initrd (this is also a scsi
based system).  Running mkinitrd didn't work, as I anticipated it
wouldn't.   I can mount the volume manually after the system is booted and
running, so I know that LVM is working okay.

Any pointers?