Re: Compiling a kernel giving me fits...

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 08:10, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> If I run make modules again right after this, ftape compiles, but then
> it segfaults AGAIN compiling hycapi:

> Eventually, if you run make modules repeatedly, everything will
> compile. Could this be a problem with GCC?

No. That is an indication of unstable hardware, bad RAM chips for
instance, an overclocked CPU, or cheap RAM chips and a cheap
mainboard that don't work together at full throttle.

Try http://www.memtest86.com/ but even that is not bullet-proof,
since other parts of your hardware can be the cause of instability.
OK - I downloaded and ran memtest 3.0 for 11 passes. Zero errors.

This is a  new motherboard with new RAM and new processor. It's a 2.53Ghz Pentium 4 on an Asus P4S8X motherboard with 1GB DDR RAM. I've had it running for a little over a month. Could the fact that I have exactly 1GB of RAM be a factor? I remember hearing something before about having exactly this amount being the cause of some strange errors.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Chris Williams

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,
try orderin' someone else's dog around."
--Cowboy Wisdom