Re: Compiling a kernel giving me fits...

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 08:38, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > I've been trying unsuccessfully now for weeks to get a kernel to
> > compile, with no success. I have always used the Red Hat config files
> > (in the configs directory of the kernel source tree) as a starting
> > point for creating a custom kernel. One would think this would be
> > pretty straight forward, but it doesn't work. If you:
> >
> > 1) make mrproper
> > 2) make xconfig (and load one of these config files)
> > 3) make dep
> > 4) make bzImage...
> >
> > Stop! It segfaults right there.
>
> Reproducibly?
>
> That means, if you repeated above procedure, would it always
> segfault? And if you ran "make bzImage" a second time, would it
> segfault again at the same place?

Yes, this is reproducible. It will segfault in exactly the same place
every time. It also does this with a standard kernel. Looks like I was
missing a step (see below).

> > OK - now that I have that off my chest, is this already Bugzilla'd
> > somewhere to anyone's knowledge? Does a Red Hat kernel config exist
> > anywhere I could get my hands on that will compile correctly?
>
> All those in the configs directory. Try this just for fun:
>
>   cd /usr/src/linux-2.4
>   make mrproper
>   cp configs/kernel-2.4.18-i686.config .config
>   make oldconfig
>   make dep bzImage modules modules_install install

Tried it - except for the make modules_install install parts, since I
don't want to do this yet.

This does work - the main difference I see is the make oldconfig step,
which I was not doing. From here then, I should be able to modify the
config file to taste and move ahead. -Thanks!

I'll have to work on the rest after work. Next for me is to compile the
new sis900 drivers from the 2.5.49 tree so I can use my on-board
Ethernet controller instead of my old 3Com NIC, which is keeping another
machine off my network. <smile>

Cheers,

Chris Williams

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,
try orderin' someone else's dog around."
--Cowboy Wisdom