Compiling a kernel giving me fits...

I've been trying unsuccessfully now for weeks to get a kernel to
compile, with no success. I have always used the Red Hat config files
(in the configs directory of the kernel source tree) as a starting point
for creating a custom kernel. One would think this would be pretty
straight forward, but it doesn't work. If you:

1) make mrproper
2) make xconfig (and load one of these config files)
3) make dep
4) make bzImage...

Stop! It segfaults right there.

After mucking around with a bunch of settings to get things which were
not set up properly (I won't go into detail here), I finally got a
kernel to compile, but I'm still working on getting modules to fully
compile. This shouldn't be so hard! I'm having to wait for the thing to
crash, examine the error message, find what's not set correctly, fix it,
recompile, wait for it to crash...

Right now, I'm working with the latest source tree (2.4.18-18.8.0) and
the i686 config file (kernel-2.4.18-i686.config). I've also tried these
configs with other kernels, just to test it out, and they all fail at
the same places.

<rant>
I really think that if Red Hat is going to ship sample kernel config
files, they should at least ship ones THAT WILL COMPILE!
</rant>

OK - now that I have that off my chest, is this already Bugzilla'd
somewhere to anyone's knowledge? Does a Red Hat kernel config exist
anywhere I could get my hands on that will compile correctly?

Cheers,

Chris Williams

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,
try orderin' someone else's dog around."
--Cowboy Wisdom