Re: Compiling a kernel giving me fits...

On Wednesday 27 November 2002 07:21 am, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> I've been trying unsuccessfully now for weeks to get a kernel to
> compile, with no success. I have always used the Red Hat config files
> (in the configs directory of the kernel source tree) as a starting point
> for creating a custom kernel. One would think this would be pretty
> straight forward, but it doesn't work. If you:
>
> 1) make mrproper
> 2) make xconfig (and load one of these config files)
> 3) make dep
> 4) make bzImage...
>
> Stop! It segfaults right there.

I had a very similar problem recently, and I replaced my processor and found
that fixed it. The problem for me was that every compile was destined for
failure, not just the kernel.

Compilation of source code is about as tough on the processor as it can get,
problems that aren't seen anywhere else will be seen there. That's the way it
was for me, no run problems only compile problems.

Rob
--
Rob Blomquist
Kirkland, WA

On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it said
'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux and lived happily ever
after.