Re: system-wide configuration for user accounts

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 20:38:06 +0000, Alan Peery wrote:

> Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >

> >> these days, we have the /etc/profile.d/*sh directory
> >>structure.  ... when i added sun's j2sdk package,
> >>i manually added a "java.sh" file to that directory which
> >>extended the search PATH.
> >>
> >> is this considered acceptable behavior?  to just manually
> >>toss extra files in there?  it certainly is a cleaner and
> >>more modular approach than constantly hacking /etc/profile.
> >>

> >Absolutely.  Just be sure to do either:
> >
> >1) Package the scripts in rpm packages and install them, so that
> >   RPM is aware the files are there, and wont overwrite them if
> >   you install some other package that has files named the same.
> >

> I like this--it's clean and it integrates with the systems management
> tools.  Can you point to a simple tool/doc on RPM packaging to this
> level of detail?

Check out: http://www.rpm.org

A minimum RPM spec file would suffice. Just the few strictly
required headers and a %files section, e.g.:

Name: test
Version: 1.0
Release: 1
Group: System Environment/Configuration
License: GPL

%description
foo

%files
/etc/services
/etc/termcap

Place it into your RPM build environment as "test.spec" (e.g.
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/test.spec for users who haven't set up a
non-root build environment) and build the binary package with
"rpmbuild -bb test.spec".

- --