Re: system-wide configuration for user accounts

Mike A. Harris wrote:

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

these days, we have the /etc/profile.d/*sh directory
structure. ... when i added sun's j2sdk package,
i manually added a "java.sh" file to that directory which
extended the search PATH.

is this considered acceptable behavior? to just manually
toss extra files in there? it certainly is a cleaner and
more modular approach than constantly hacking /etc/profile.

Absolutely. Just be sure to do either:

1) Package the scripts in rpm packages and install them, so that RPM is aware the files are there, and wont overwrite them if you install some other package that has files named the same.

I like this--it's clean and it integrates with the systems management tools. Can you point to a simple tool/doc on RPM packaging to this level of detail?

Alan