Re: system-wide configuration for user accounts

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>  i'm curious about how people set up system-wide config
>for user accounts on their hosts, as i'm designing the
>account admin chapter for my migration web site and i want
>to make sure i give good advice.
>
>  once upon a time, an admin would add sys-wide stuff in
>/etc/profile, to affect everyone.
>
>  these days, we have the /etc/profile.d/*sh directory
>structure.  while newly-installed RPMs are certainly free
>to add RPM-specific files here that will be consulted upon
>login, i also like to throw extra stuff in here related
>to the app manually; eg., when i added sun's j2sdk package,
>i manually added a "java.sh" file to that directory which
>extended the search PATH.
>
>  is this considered acceptable behavior?  to just manually
>toss extra files in there?  it certainly is a cleaner and
>more modular approach than constantly hacking /etc/profile.

Absolutely.  Just be sure to do either:

1) Package the scripts in rpm packages and install them, so that
   RPM is aware the files are there, and wont overwrite them if
   you install some other package that has files named the same.

or

2) Choose file names for all of your personal scripts that are
   guaranteed to be unique, and unlikely that some rpm package
   would conflict with it.  You can do this by choosing something
   unique like "sun_java_custom_startup.sh" or by namespacing all
   your custom files with a common prefix:
   "rpjd_java.sh" or ${hostname}_java.sh or some such unique
   identifier.

That way you needn't wory about some other package installing a
"java.sh" script there.

HTH

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer