Re: Video Card recommendation

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Markku Kolkka wrote:

>Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 18:35:42 +0200
>From: Markku Kolkka <markku.kolkka@koti.soon.fi>
>To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Video Card recommendation
>
>Viestissä Lauantai 23. Marraskuuta 2002 15:43, Mike A. Harris kirjoitti:
>> As such, if you want a good chance at having
>> working ATI card, then I suggest you get a "Built by ATI" card,
>
>My point was that I _can't_ buy a "Built by ATI" card because
>they are sold only in USA and Canada. The rest of the world gets
>"Powered by ATI" cards.

And how am I supposed to be expected to resolve that?  If you
want Linux support for your video hardware, it is your
responsibility to either purchase supported hardware, or to
contact a given manufacturer and request that they support Linux.
For the case of these cards, it is probably less than a days
work, if that for one of their engineers to hack on a 5 line
patch or similar.

It is ultimately _not_ our responsibility.  The Linux community
has developed a lot of software and a lot of drivers, some by
poking and prodding the hardware.  That is not efficient however.
If a manufacturer does not drectly support Linux, then it is best
to avoid that vendor.

Having few hardware choices in a given part of the world, is a
problem that is not up to the OS vendor to solve really.  Mind
you, I certainly try to do so whenever possible.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer