Re: A few things who still suck in RedHat 8 aka constructive criticism

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 00:31:01 at 12:31:01AM -0800, David Durst (ddurst@larubber.com) wrote:

> I think to appease more users RH needs to come out w/ a TECHNICAL &
> NON-TECHNICAL distribution.

David,

I agree with you, but one can already have a "TECHNICAL" RH 8.0
distribution, as you call it. Isn't it equivalent to "install the base
system and do everything else from sources and/or your own RPMs"?

In that way you still have base Red Hat packages and structure, RPM,
updated software, etc... and your very own system, don't you?

As long as Red Hat keeps as lean and mean as possible the base
install, and sorts out RPM dependencies so that one installs only what
is *really* needed for a specific application, it doesn't really
matter what the default "full desktop" looks like, does it?

Actually it is probably better for new Linux users if the first thing they see
looks familiar. Experienced users will make their own system anyway,
whatever the default is (I installed psyche three weeks ago, use it
as desktop daily, and never seen Bluecurve, KDE or Gnome yet..)

	Ciao,

		Marco Fioretti

Red Hat for low memory: www.rule-project.org/en/