A few things who still suck in RedHat 8 aka constructive criticism

1)  Better package management:  At last we got an RPM front end who
manages dependencies and prompts for the right CD.  But many packages
are not visible through it.  Libraries, fonts, man pages just to give
some examples.  And also some packages deemed secondary.  For these you
have to manage them from the command line and while it tells you which
package contains the missing dependency, you stil have to look through
the CDROMa and you are can still have to manage a dependency cascade.
The front end really needs a toggle allowing to see everything not
the limited view given in RedHat 8.0

2) Better printing management.  For one thing when switching from LPRng
to CUPS and viceversa I really expect the tool to take care of
evrything: ie install the missing parts, stop and start daemons.

I also expect a better treatment for CUPS.  There is still no decent
config tool (I wouldn't qualify the Web tool as decent since the UI is
so so and it leaves out many important possibilities) allowing the box
not have outside clients (typical when you only have remote printers)
and to retrieve the config from remote CUPS servers so you can have
config once (in the server) and print from everywhere.  Mandrake's
configurator does all that and it is GPL what is RedHat waiting to
rip it off.

Also if my memory doesn't fail me RedHat's cups is still unable to
print to an SMB server.  You only have to make a symlink in the
backends directory from cups but it was missing in 7.3 and it is still
missing in 8.0

3)  Taking Samba more seriously.  Despite having to live with SMB
environments being far more frequent than with NFS it is NFS who got
a configurator and the Samba users having to content with Swat who
IMHO doesn't cut mustard.  And please make it easy to browse network and
mount shares.

4) Better networking.  First RedHat provides nothing for NAT and second
the firewalling  seems weak since its default policy is accept, it only
filters TCP and UDP plus desite using iptables it is stateless.

5) There should be a clearer way to customize the Gnome menus.

6) Better integration with national setups: I dream of being able to
install translated docs, fonts and tutti quanti in one operation.  Plus
being able to set defaults (eg paper size: we use A4 here) in one
operation

			JFM