Fonts/panel problems after 7.3 -> 8.0 upgrade. Help! (please Havoc..)

Hi All

I eventually decided to go from 7.3 to 8.0.
I met several problems, many more that for any other
upgrade/installation... however those I need help are the following:

a) Fonts:

   I followed carefully all discussions etc, I dropped all fonts in
   /usr/share/fonts, ran fc-cache on all of them, added them to the xfs
   config file, restarted xfs (actually rebooted ten times due to kernel
   oopses on my scsi adapter, but this is another story..), but:

   a1) applications using the "old" font system see all fonts, but:
       - often they are rendered in a very ugly way (mozilla is horrible
         to see, same machine, Dell Latitude 840, same fonts, booting
         from a second, RH7.3, partition, is muuuuuuuuuuuuch
         better).

       - THEY ARE *TINY*!!! In mozilla I have control over their size
         but in xcdroast, gimp etc not at all! I set
         preferences->font->size to decent values but they do not seem to
         have any effect on the fonts used in the menus for these
         applications (not unexpected if they are "old" applications
         if I understand correctly the old vs new font system issue)
         This is a BIG issue, on a 1600x1200 laptop screen I need
         to bring my nose almost in contact with the display to
         see them, unbearable! How can I control their size?

   a2) I cannot see all truetype fonts I have on the machine under
       /usr/share/fonts in the new system. Or better, they do not show
       up under preferences->fonts or under gnome-terminal preferences
       and I do not know any other way to look at/select them. fc-cache
       ran correctly, and they are all visible (-> not corrupted) under
       xfs or booting from the 7.3  partition. Any suggestion on how to
       check which fonts are really there in the "new" system? maybe
       they are grouped into classes and they appear muche less?

b)  Gnome-panel: apart the effort for reconfiguring it from scratch, I did
    not find a way to keep it below all other windows like it was
    possible before. Please note that the panel is so dumb to stay there
    even when full screen mode is switched on by some applications,
    like mplayer. The "autohide" option does a different thing which
    is no option for me (it is very uncomfortable to use on crowded
    desktops with many windows opened,
    when you need the panel it is never there, when you don't it just pops
    up in the most inconvenient moment)

Overall I like the new desktop, but I am struggling against its lack of
configurability.

                   Thanks
                Alfredo Ferrari

|  Alfredo Ferrari                         ||  Tel.: +41.22.767.6119         |
|  C.E.R.N.                                ||  Fax.: +41.22.767.7555         |
|  European Laboratory for Particle Physics||                                |
|  SL Division / EET Project               ||  e-mail:                       |
|  1211 Geneva 23                          ||     Alfredo.Ferrari@cern.ch    |
|  Switzerland                             ||     Alfredo.Ferrari@mi.infn.it |