Re: Help with PostgreSQL startup

O.K. Maybe I haven't expressed myself very well.  My question , while you may have given me an answer, it wasn't clear enough for me to follow.

Here are the active lines in the "pg_hba.conf"

local	all	trust
host	all	127.0.0.1	255.255.255.255	trust

If "postgresql" is set to start in the server settings, neither "pgaccess" nor "xpg" clients will attach after a the computer is started up.  If a manually stop "postgresql"  and then from a terminal I start it with "posmaster -i -D /path/to/data/folder" both of these client software packages connect easily.  Because of this I felt that I could rule out the "pg_hba.conf" file.

The problem is: "How do I get the service to start automatically in the correct way so I don't have to do a manual start?"

Is there some editing of the /ect/rc.d/init.d/postgresql that must be done?  Or is it some other file?

Now to answer why I want this to work, I am going to develop so that the DB server is not on the same box the web server.  I would like the initial development to be as close to the "production" product as possible.

>>> fredbriand@blueboxstudio.net 11/21/02 09:52AM >>>
I think you should edit one of the configuration files:
/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
and read carefully what's in.

fred