Re: Help with PostgreSQL startup

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 08:21, Daniel WELLS wrote:
> PostgreSQL starts when the computer boots but it does not
> accept TCP/IP connection.  I have to stop the service and start it on
> a command line with the "-i" option to get it to work.  What do I need
> to do to get the service to startup correctly?

Since the question was already answered, I'll suggest that when you
direct your code to connect to the server, you simply do not provide a
hostname.  In this case, the SQL client will try to use the local UNIX
socket, rather than TCP/IP.  In this configuration, you do not expose
the database server to remote network attacks.  The default is ideal if
you are running your SQL code and the server on the same machine.  You
should only turn on TCP/IP if you are actually querying the machine from
a remote host.