Help with PostgreSQL startup

I'm at the dangerous level of between newbie and intermediate, so some of my questions may sound kinda dumb.  I am doing some PHP / pgsql development and set up a workstation and added pgsql, apache and php to it so that I could develop on one platform before moving it to production servers.  PostgreSQL starts when the computer boots but it does not accept TCP/IP connection.  I have to stop the service and start it on a command line with the "-i" option to get it to work.  What do I need to do to get the service to startup correctly?

Daniel Wells AIA
Director of Information Systems
MHTN Architects, Inc.
801-595-6700