Re: Suggestions for increasing speed on an older (but not ancient) machine.

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:40:53 -0600
"Hal Watson" <hal.watson@dnr.state.mn.us> wrote:

# I'm wondering what my next step should be - It would be fairly easy
# and not too expensive to drop another 128mb ram into this machine.
# Will KDE(or Gnome for that matter)  and the underlying OS take
# advantage of this extra ram?  Would more ram, combined with using
# leaner applications do the trick?
# Or should I head down the IceWM road and see where that leads?  Or
# would a new video card help (I don't do 3D or any gaming).

More ram would help, and if you can do it, a leaner Desktop would
definitely help.  KDE/GNome are pretty heavy, and closer compared to say
Win2k or WinXP rather than win98.  If you want something that compares
to win98, look at a Linux release from that same era.

A new video card probably won't help much, especially if you don't do
much in 3d.

--
Jesse Keating
For Web Services and Linux Consulting, Visit --> j2Solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: