Re: Suggestions for increasing speed on an older (but not ancient)machine.

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 10:40, Hal Watson wrote:
> I'm wondering what my next step should be - It would be fairly easy and
> not too expensive to drop another 128mb ram into this machine.  Will KDE
> (or Gnome for that matter)  and the underlying OS take advantage of this
> extra ram?  Would more ram, combined with using leaner applications do
> the trick?
> Or should I head down the IceWM road and see where that leads?  Or
> would a new video card help (I don't do 3D or any gaming).

I am big fan of Icewm and if you want speed on that 350, that was a good
start.

There are a few system tuning things you can do.  Of course, more memory
helps by reducing swapping.  See if you can tune your IDE disk with
hdparm (see "man hdparm").  You can set hdparm options easily in Red Hat
using the /etc/sysconfig/harddisks file.  Here are the two variables I
set:
USE_DMA=1
EIDE_32BIT=3

Also, in KDE, you can turn off a lot of the animations and full window
dragging, etc.  See KDE Control Center / Look & Feel / Launch Feedback,
Window Behavior.

I have found KDE3 requires as much firepower as Win2K/XP.  If you want
good KDE3 performance, you probably need to be above 800 Mhz with plenty
of ram.  Gnome2 needs as much or more.  Generally, I use KDE because I
like a lot of the bells and whistles and my system is fast enough.  But
when I want to get maximum work done, I fire up Icewm.

Some of the monster apps like open office are going to load slowly in
any environment.  If you use them a lot, you might want to consider
the ram).  You can find lean replacements for most apps if you look
around.

Best Regards,
Keith
--