From: Keith Winston [mailto:kwinston@twmi.rr.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 6:22 AM
To: psyche-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Dist. Suggestions

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 05:14, David Durst wrote:
> Does anyone support the IDEA of dist. NON-GPL software on a seperate
> CD??? I think it would make alot of people much happier if they didn't
> have to go reading through mailing lists to find out how to get a
> Netgear wireless NIC to work under 8.0.  Along w/ that is there is a
> serious need for a Directory Service so it is just a thought.

Debian has a whole tree of what they call non-free software that is not part
of the official disto, but provided for people who want it.  SuSE has an
entire section of software in their "commercial" series that comes with
their distro and can be installed with YaST2 like any GPL program.  Then,
there are distos that make no distinction between commercial and GPL
software like Lycoris and Lindows.

I've used every major distro out there and I think you'll find things to
like and dislike about every one.  Since I don't use Windows at all, I tend
to spend a lot of time tweaking my system to be exactly what I want.  With
some distros, the amount of work I need to do is higher than with others.

Red Hat does ship with a directory service, the old reliable NIS.  While
OpenLDAP will work fine for login authentication, I don't think it supports
NFS netgroups yet and probably some other things you might want.  On the
other hand, NIS is not considered very secure and is showing some age.  If
you want a modern directory, Novell's NDS is supposed to run natively on
Linux now but I've never tried it, and of course, it is not free in any
sense.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+
We drive on this highway of fire

This message, including any attachments, contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies.  You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.
TIAA-CREF