Re: internet connection

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 14:00, Eric Potvin wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This should be a simple problem.
>
> I use a Linksys Router to connect to the internet. The router is the DHCP
> for it's little network. The DHCP works because I see the Linux box eth0
> card's MAC address in the router DHCP table. And the Linux box has the ip
> assigned to it. All seems good there.
>
> Using the terminal window I can ping the router and the other Windows box on
> the network. I am unable to ping addresses outside this network, can't ping
> to the internet(either ip or www address)
>
> When trying to connect using Mozilla I get the message "The connection was
> refused when attempting to contact www.redhat.com."
>
> What settings should I check to solve this problem??
> When I was using 7.3, it connected easily, never had anything to do, does
> 8.0 do something different??

Two things to double check.  Make sure your DHCP settings are picking up
the default gateway and that your DNS server settings are correct.
Either your box can't find its way out of your LAN, or your are not
resolving host names.

The "route" command will show you your default gateway.  Make sure you
have it set to your Linksys IP.

Look in your /etc/resolv.conf for valid DNS server settings.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+