Re: A thought about psyche

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 11:02, Alan Peery wrote:
> There are areas that will turn power users of Microsoft right off.  It
> was really nice to see a VPN connection offered in "neat" in a standard
> install--but it doesn't work.  (Missing a directory and a device, two
> items that appear if you install everything.)  The VPN uses CIPE, not
> Microsoft PPTP--which makes it completely unusable in an already
> existing infrastructure...

You mean an already existing Microsoft infrastructure.  Scott McNealy
said it best when discussing MS products, "they are all welded together
and welded shut".

With many MS products, for example their proxy server 2.0, if you want
transparent authentication, you have to use IE, which means you have to
use Windows on the desktop, because they use an undocumented, encrypted
field in the HTTP header.

This kind of got off topic, but I think Psyche is the best Red Hat
release to date, and one of the best linux distro releases to date.
People are locked in MS for many reasons and that will still be the case
even when linux is 5 times better than the MS solution.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+