Re: A thought about psyche

On 19 Nov 2002, Keith Winston wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 11:02, Alan Peery wrote:
> > There are areas that will turn power users of Microsoft right off.  It
> > was really nice to see a VPN connection offered in "neat" in a standard
> > install--but it doesn't work.  (Missing a directory and a device, two
> > items that appear if you install everything.)  The VPN uses CIPE, not
> > Microsoft PPTP--which makes it completely unusable in an already
> > existing infrastructure...
>
> You mean an already existing Microsoft infrastructure.  Scott McNealy
> said it best when discussing MS products, "they are all welded together
> and welded shut".
>
> With many MS products, for example their proxy server 2.0, if you want
> transparent authentication, you have to use IE, which means you have to
> use Windows on the desktop, because they use an undocumented, encrypted
> field in the HTTP header.

more to the point, if you have an official microsoft rep looking after
your company/account, you should complain *vocally* that their software
can not be used properly in a heterogeneous environment.  naturally,
they'll claim that they can do nothing about this, and they're undoubtedly
right, but at least you'll have registered a complaint.

rday

p.s.  i think the day is coming when microsoft is going to suffer
unspeakable retribution from the people it's shafted and tortured over
the years.

it's like the schoolyard bully who's had his way for years.  individually,
no one can stand up to him but over those same years, a thought grows
that, if everyone bands together, they might be able to do something about
it.  and when the end comes, it's swift and bloody.  it might be something
slight and insignificant that finally sets it off, but at some point, a
group turns on the bully and proceeds to beat the living bejeezus out of
him.

microsoft's turn is coming soon.  you can smell the fear as gates,
ballmer and company pull every trick they can -- insulting open source,
calling it a "cancer", deliberately making their software not
interoperable with anything else.  and the irony is, when alternative
software finally reaches critical mass, and people start to migrate in
droves, won't it be delicious to realize that microsoft can't participate
since, by their own hand, they've made sure their software isn't
compatible with anyone else's?  hoist by their own petard.  i can't
wait.

p.p.s.  and i'm doing my part to speed things along:

	www.linux-migration.org.