Re: video problem

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Linn Kubler wrote:

>> see the Stealth II S220 at all.  It does have a section for "Device"
>and
>> "Screen".
>>
>> "Device" shows the Identifier as "Rendition Verite 2x00"
>> "Driver" is "vga"
>> VendorName = "Rendition Verite 2x00"
>> BoardName = "Rendition Verite 2x00"
>>

>Try the following:
>
>First, backup your exisiting /etc/X11/XF86config somewhere and then as
>root, from the command-line: "XFree86 -configure"  this will generate a
>basic /etc/X11/XF86Config file.  Examine it to see if the Driver
>"rendition" line is put in there.  If it isn't then edit it in by hand
>and
>try starting the server.
>
>I guess the question still remains as to why the installation program
>didn't pick up this chip properly though.  I think you should maybe ask
>on
>the redhat-xfree86 list for further help
>
>Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it and checked for the "rendition"
>line and it is there.  However, when I run startx it starts up but is
>unusable.  Looks like the horizontal sync is out.  Had to shutdown the
>server to recover.
>
>I'll go ahead an post this question on the xfree86 list but I'll check
>back here too for any additional suggestions and report any success.

Yes, this is a Rendition Verite 2x00 based card.  The "rendition"
driver would be the native driver for it, and the XFree86 status
page does claim to support this card.  I've never actually
encountered anyone using rendition hardware though or reporting
bugs against it.  That could mean that it is bug free(tm) <grin>,
or it could mean that there are very few cards in circulation out
there, or even possibly that it is so broken that everyone
ditched their cards and replaced them with shiny new ones.  ;o)

Anyhow, give the rendition driver a shot, and if it doesn't work,
post your results here and we'll try to troubleshoot.

Hope this helps,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer