Re: video problem

>>> ofeeley@yahoo.com 11/16/02 11:20 AM >>>
On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Linn Kubler wrote:
> ofeeley@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Linn Kubler wrote:
<snip>
>> Question is then, how can I correct this?  I should also mention that
>> during the installation, when it let me pick the graphics card and
>> test it I couldn't get it to display any resonable resolution.  This
>> card was listed in the selection list but it would just blink and go
>> right back when I hit the test button, regardless of the resolution
>> setting.

<snip>
> What chip is the card based upon?  Is it a savage?  Do a `grep
"savage"

> /etc/X11/XF86Config"  or a `grep -i "savage" /var/log/XFree86.0.log '
> and post the output here.  If it is a savage then it should be
> possible to get it working.

Actually, given that you suspect that the XF86COnfig is inappropriate
that
doesn't help much.  It would be better to do a "/sbin/lspci -v | grep
VGA"
and then a "/sbin/lspci -n".  Matching up the output of the PCI bus info

for the VGA controller from the first output with latter output will
give
the exact chipset.  However, from a quick Google of the XFree86 site and

the information provided below this is not necessary.  Also, it's
definitely not a savage, which is what I had some extra information on
which might have helped.

> Chipset looks to be S3.  When I looked at the XF86Config file I don't

No.  It's Rendition/Micron http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.1/Status27.html#27

Replace the Driver "vga" with Driver "rendition" in the XF86Config file.

> see the Stealth II S220 at all.  It does have a section for "Device"
and
> "Screen".
>
> "Device" shows the Identifier as "Rendition Verite 2x00"
> "Driver" is "vga"
> VendorName = "Rendition Verite 2x00"
> BoardName = "Rendition Verite 2x00"

Try the following:

First, backup your exisiting /etc/X11/XF86config somewhere and then as
root, from the command-line: "XFree86 -configure"  this will generate a
basic /etc/X11/XF86Config file.  Examine it to see if the Driver
"rendition" line is put in there.  If it isn't then edit it in by hand
and
try starting the server.

I guess the question still remains as to why the installation program
didn't pick up this chip properly though.  I think you should maybe ask
on
the redhat-xfree86 list for further help

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it and checked for the "rendition"
line and it is there.  However, when I run startx it starts up but is
unusable.  Looks like the horizontal sync is out.  Had to shutdown the
server to recover.

I'll go ahead an post this question on the xfree86 list but I'll check
back here too for any additional suggestions and report any success.

Thanks All,
Linn