Re: Video Card recommendation

On 16 Nov 2002, Nadim Bitar wrote:

>Date: 16 Nov 2002 17:59:11 -0800
>From: Nadim Bitar <nadiizu@earthlink.net>
>To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Video Card recommendation
>
>I need to buy a new Video Card, my ideal card would be well supported on
>RH linux, has good 2D performance, AGP4X based and has 64MB DDR memory.
>Any suggestion highly appreciated.

The ATI Radeon 7500 is currently the best open source supported
(and thus supported by Red Hat) video card available.  Only
official "Built by ATI" cards are supported, whereas the "Powered
by ATI" ones may or may not work.  (All X developers tend to have
official ATI hardware, and very few if any have the "powered by"
boards, nor the tech specs available, so if there are problems
with the "powered-by" boards, they may not get fixed right away
until a given developer has access to the specific problem board,
and its specs)

Before considering any hardware purchase, you might want to do a
bugzilla query against XFree86 for each manufacturer's name, and
also query specific video card models too.  That will give you an
idea of what - if any bugs/problems people have encountered, and
under any particular motherboard/hardware mix.

Hope this helps.
--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer