Re: Psyche-list digest, Vol 1 #495 - 15 msgs

>Message: 8
>Subject: Re: database front end gui
>From: Gordon Messmer <yinyang@eburg.com>
>To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>Date: 17 Nov 2002 11:50:44 -0800
>
>On Sat, 2002-11-16 at 18:36, anthony baldwin wrote:
>> Hvae any of you run pgAccess?
>
>Yes.
>
>> Are there any other non-proprietary, gpl database gui front ends?
>
>http://freshmeat.net/browse/68/?topic_id=68
>http://www.gnome-db.org/
>
>> I am having difficulty with pgAccess.  I htink it may be an issue with my
>> Postgres set up.  I seem to be unable to create a non-root user, but
>> cannot sign in as "su postgres '.
>
>postgres doesn't have a password unless you set one.  Only root can,
>therefore:
>su postgres -c psql
>or:
>su postgres -c "createuser -d username"
>
>> I want to catalog my books and do a few other things.
>
>There are simpler answers to that need that setting up a SQL server.

Well, obviously there is something very fundamental that I don't understand.  I have tried three different front ends now (Mysqlcc, pgaccess and tora), and all without avail, because they are all looking for postgres or mysql on a g to build the database on the same box.  It'snot a server, it's a desktop workstation.  I can build a db on a doze machine without a server (access) and can build one on my iBook with appleworks without a server, why must I set a server (totally lost on what that entails) in order to build a simple little db on the nix box? I only have two machines, and neither of them is a server, just the nix box and the iBook.
I just don't get it...why are these programs looking for a server/trying to signb into one?  I have used Access at school to catalog books, keep grades, etc, without any server, all on one box without signing into a server.  Can't I do that here?

Tony