Re: database gui frontend

On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 20:48, anthony baldwin wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to use pgAccess to build a databse of my library.
> I am unable to use it, however, because I am unable to
> create a postgres user.  when I try to "su postgres"

su
root password
then when you are root
su postgres

more /etc/passwd | grep postgres to check for a username "postgres"

> I can not get in.  I have tried my root password, no password,
> and "postgres" as password.  It is obvious that the user "postgres" was created during the install (default part of RH 8.0 install) but I have no idea
> what the password is.  How do I alter that?

When you are su'd to root, then you can su to any user without a
password.

> I have also tried MysqlCC, but there I get server errors, which confounds me because I am not trying to build a database on a server, but simply on my desktop machine.  I only wish to have access to it myself from here.
> I have used M$Access to build databases for school, grades, library catalogs, etc, and that is the only experience I have with databases.  I want a tool that will allow me that kind of ease of use.  I thought I found two such tools but I can;t seem to use them.  So, I have having no luck using the two database applications on here (postgres or MySql).  Someone has suggested that I use OpenOffice to create a database, but that is the one application that Star has the OO does not.
>
> I am also having wine issues, but I don't even know where to start to ask questions.  Once more, I am working with the default setup from install, but it appears I am having path issues or something.  So I have been unable to use wine at all.  I am afraid that the HowTo at winehq doesn't really help.  Will HowTo's ever be written in English?

Maybe the Wine list is better for the wine issues, but try here first.

--
NAME    :	Adam Allen.
EMAIL   :	adam@dynamicinteraction.co.uk

COMMENT :	~~~~ insert your favourite signature comment here ~~~~

PGP     :	http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=adam%40dynamicinteraction.co.uk