Re: Psyche-list digest, Vol 1 #495 - 15 msgs

Viestissä Maanantai 18. Marraskuuta 2002 01:06, anthony baldwin kirjoitti:
> Well, obviously there is something very fundamental that I don't
> understand.  I have tried three different front ends now (Mysqlcc, pgaccess
> and tora), and all without avail, because they are all looking for postgres
> or mysql on a g to build the database on the same box.

That's what "front end" means, it's a program that connects to a database
server "engine". MS Access is a front end to a database engine called "Jet".

> It'snot a server, it's a desktop workstation.

A "server" is in this context a program that runs in background to provide
functions for other programs. Your desktop Linux workstation runs a number of
servers (e.g. X server), just add the database server program.

--
	Markku Kolkka
	markku.kolkka@koti.soon.fi