Re: How To Extract A Pentium 4 CPU

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 21:44:19 -0800 (PST)
Kevin McConnell <kevymac@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- "Robert L. Cochran" <cochranb@speakeasy.net>
> wrote:
> > I realize this is an *operating system* forum, but I
> > suspect a lot of
> > you work with hardware. I need to extract a Pentium
> > 4, 2.8 Ghz CPU from
> > one motherboard and install it on another. Do I need
> > a special tool? Or
> > can I just use forefinger and thumb?
>
> It's probably wiser to use a chip puller, but I
> usually just make sure I'm grounded (the most
> important part) and then yank 'er right out.

Hopefully after releasing the locking lever? 8^)

More seriously, do make sure you disconnect the powercord, not just turn off the power (I know, but I've seen some incredibly silly things done) and do ground yourself to the case by either touching it while extracting the CPU or by using a grounding strap.  Have something clean, acid free, and non-conductive to set it onto if there is an intermediate stop betweein motherboards.

rickf