Re: Newbie - 2 Gnome and 1 general question(s)

Raul Acevedo wrote:
> Mythical Proportions wrote:
>
>  > 2 GNOME questions for you...
>  > 1) I want to 're-organize' some of the items in the GNOME menu.  In M$
>  > you can click and drag items around the start menu, but it doesn't
>  > appear to work like that in GNOME.  What conf file controls the gnome
>  > menu (both per user and globally)?
>
> YES!!!   How do you do this?  The menu editor from GNOME 1.4 is gone...
This question has come up over and over in the forum - the best answer I
have seen is that the menu configuration is stored in:
/etc/X11/desktop-menus/application.menu
It is in XML and the format is not documented but it can be figured out
with a bit of study.  Would be nice to have the menu editor back though.

>  > 1 just general query for good measure:
>  > 3) I want to start tarring my home folders for backup.  I know you can
>  > tell tar to exclude certain files/folders, but I can't seem to get the
>  > syntax write based on the man and --help stuff.  I want to exclude one
>  > folder within /home/user1 that has music files.
>  > So... #: tar -cvz archive.tar /home/user1
>  > doesn't cut it.  Anyone have any advice?
>
> tar -cvz archive.tar --exclude=/home/user1/DirToExclude2
> --exclude=/home/user1/DirToExclude2 /home/user1
>
> Raul

Lou