Re: Newbie - 2 Gnome and 1 general question(s)

Mythical Proportions wrote:

> 2 GNOME questions for you...
> 1) I want to 're-organize' some of the items in the GNOME menu.  In M$
> you can click and drag items around the start menu, but it doesn't
> appear to work like that in GNOME.  What conf file controls the gnome
> menu (both per user and globally)?

Search the list archives for this one because it's been answered so many
times before.  Look for the responses from Havoc.

> 3) I want to start tarring my home folders for backup.  I know you can
> tell tar to exclude certain files/folders, but I can't seem to get the
> syntax write based on the man and --help stuff.  I want to exclude one
> folder within /home/user1 that has music files.
> So... #: tar -cvz archive.tar /home/user1
> doesn't cut it.  Anyone have any advice?

First of all, your tar command needs to be fixed.  Try this:

tar cvzf archive.tar.gz /home/user1

As for the folder exclusion you use either --exclude=PATTERN or
--exclude-from=FILE.

IMO, the easy way to do what you want is to use an exclude file and
create a list of all the things you don't want in the archive.  For example:

You want to backup everything except the mp3 files you have in ~/music.

Create a file /home/user1/exclude which only contains this line
--
music
--

That should take care of it.  There are other ways to solve this
problem, but having an exclude file is great because you can just add

Tom