Re: Newbie - 2 Gnome and 1 general question(s)

On 11 Nov 2002, Mythical Proportions wrote:
<snip>
Sorry, don't know the answer to the gnome-menu question

> 2) I removed the RHN/update widget from the toolbar and would like to
> have it back.  The little blue check mark makes me happy.  What
> applet/program/etc should I link to get it back?

This is in the FAQ here:
http://www.linuxlaboratory.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=3&categories=On+the+Desktop&parent_id=1#9

(bit of a long link!)

> 1 just general query for good measure:
> 3) I want to start tarring my home folders for backup.  I know you can
> tell tar to exclude certain files/folders, but I can't seem to get the
> syntax write based on the man and --help stuff.  I want to exclude one
> folder within /home/user1 that has music files.
> So... #: tar -cvz archive.tar /home/user1
> doesn't cut it.  Anyone have any advice?

You left out an "f" in the create options.  There are several different
ways to do it with tar.  This is closest to the way that you appear to be
thinking.  It's probably better to use the "mnemonic" style (e.g.
--file="archive.tar" rather than the short style that you use in this
example (see man tar).

 tar -czvf archive.tar /home/user1 --exclude /home/user1/dir-to-exclude

HTH,
Oisin Feeley