Re: Newbie - 2 Gnome and 1 general question(s)

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 14:50, Mythical Proportions wrote:
> Hi all.  Long time computer user/IT staffer but new linux user running
> RH8.
>
> 2 GNOME questions for you...
> 1) I want to 're-organize' some of the items in the GNOME menu.  In M$
> you can click and drag items around the start menu, but it doesn't
> appear to work like that in GNOME.  What conf file controls the gnome
> menu (both per user and globally)?

Last I heard, the Gnome Mneu editor was broken when 8.0 was shipped, so
it was disabled. Not sure if/when it will get fixed.

> 2) I removed the RHN/update widget from the toolbar and would like to
> have it back.  The little blue check mark makes me happy.  What
> applet/program/etc should I link to get it back?

# /usr/bin/rhn_applet_gui

Then save the desktop as you log out of Gnome

> 1 just general query for good measure:
> 3) I want to start tarring my home folders for backup.  I know you can
> tell tar to exclude certain files/folders, but I can't seem to get the
> syntax write based on the man and --help stuff.  I want to exclude one
> folder within /home/user1 that has music files.
> So... #: tar -cvz archive.tar /home/user1
> doesn't cut it.  Anyone have any advice?

Haven't tried it, but the man page for tar indicates you need a file
that includes a list of files to exclude. Not sure if you can specify a
directory or a wildcard in it. The syntax would then be something like:

# tar -zcvf user1.tgz /home/user1 --exclude /home/user1/skip.these.files

> Thanks in advance.  Mystical
>

> --
Chris Kloiber, RHCE                                  Red Hat,Inc.
Hardware Certification            aka                1801 Varsity Dr.
Enterprise Support             "WireHead"            Raleigh, NC 27606