Re: home lan

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 14:44, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> far better to get a cable/dsl router (possibly 4-port), most of which are
> configurable via a browser.  any decent one already has some firewalling
> capability, they're smaller, more reliable, do NAT automatically, etc,
> etc.

My home is out in a rural area for which there is no cost effective
broadband solution.  For me, the cost of 2 way satellite is still a
little too steep.  I'm using a good old-fashioned 56.6 modem
connection.  Yes, there are routers that have 56.6 modems built in, but
they are hard to come by now.  I happened to have a good bit of old
hardware laying around doing nothing and the time/knowledge/will to
recycle a P100 for the job of dialup router/firewall.  I learned a lot
about firewalls that I didn't know while working on the project.

Should everyone press an older model computer into service as a
router/firewall?  No.  If *all* you want to do is NAT and basic firewall
between you and a DSL or Cable internet service, an appliance is going
to be your best bet.  If you have special needs that an appliance can't
do and/or want to broaden your skills a little, it's a good experience.

Linux is like everything else.  Use the right tool for the job.

Your mileage may vary,
--
Philip A. Chapman

Application Development:
Java, Visual Basic, VB for Applications, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL
Linux, Windows 9x, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP